- Scientists suggest new direction for treating depression, schizophrenia, and other mental disorders
UCLA Newsroom - July 17, 2014
In the July 16 issue of Nature, Psychology professor Michelle Craske and her colleagues urge clinicians and neuroscientists to work together to understand and improve psychological treatments.
- Gun violence and mental illness: Study addresses perception vs. reality
UCLA Newsroom - June 12, 2014
UCLA psychologist, Vickie Mays, worked with a team of international scholars to analyze epidemiological studies on gun violence and mental illness, and compared these results to media-fueled public perceptions about the dangerousness of mentally ill individuals.
- Gray wolves may make a comeback in California
KPCC – NPR - June 4, 2014
The gray wolf, hunted to extinction in California nearly 90 years ago, will be listed under the state’s Endangered Species Act. Robert Wayne, professor of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, says it’s just a matter of time before wolves establish a pack in the Golden State
- UCLA's Mildred E. Mathias Botanical Garden gets $5 million from Morton La Kretz
UCLA Newsroom - May 22, 2014
The funds donated by La Kretz will be used to build a garden pavilion that will house a welcome center and classroom, and to establish an endowment to maintain the new pavilion building. The new facility will be named the La Kretz Garden Pavilion. Construction is scheduled to begin in November 2015 and conclude by the end of 2016.
- B cells produce antibodies 'when danger calls, but not when it whispers'
UCLA Newsroom - May 15, 2014
An international team of life scientists, including senior author, Alexander Hoffmann, a professor of Microbiology, Immunology and Molecular Genetics have shown how B-cells respond only to true threats.
- Calling girls 'fat' may result in weight gain
UCLA Newsroom - April 28, 2014
Girls who are told by a parent, sibling, friend, classmate or teacher that they are too fat at age 10 are more likely to be obese at age 19, a new study by UCLA psychologists shows.